When you visit the grocery store, are you lost in the maze of labels and nutrition information?
Here are some tips to help you navigate the aisles:
- Plan Ahead – Before setting off to the grocery store it’s a must to plan ahead and have shopping list.
- Shop Smart – Balance convenience, price and health. Check unit prices to get the better deal just as you would read a food label for the healthiest option.
- Shop the Perimeter – When you start your journey at the grocery store it is best to shop the perimeter of the store. This is where you will find the majority of food staples such as fresh produce, meats, dairy and breads.
- Produce – When buying produce, buy locally and in season for peak freshness and lower cost.
- Dairy – Dairy provides an excellent source of calcium. If you eat/drink products such as milk, cream, yogurt and cheese frequently, select fat-free or low-fat products.
- Seafood – Include high omega 3 sources for heart-health benefits such as salmon, trout, halibut, tuna.
- Lean Meat – Look for “loin” or “round” in the name for a leaner cut.
- Starches – Don’t forget the pasta, bread and cereal aisles. Look for high fiber, low sugar and whole grain items.
Just a little food for thought!
Health and happiness,