Bishop Frank Pinkard Jr., senior pastor of Oakland’s Evergreen Baptist Church, passed away July 26 at the age of 86 following a long illness.
Bishop Pinkard attended Bishop College in Dallas, Texas. Being blessed as an over-achiever, he completed a three-year seminary program in just two years at the San Francisco Theological Seminary in San Anselmo, California, receiving his Master’s of Divinity. He then went on to receive a Doctrine of Divinity from the Urban Black Study Center in Affiliation with the Graduate Theological Union at Berkeley.
Widely regarded as one of the “elder statesman” in the area, Bishop Pinkard was called to serve Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church on Tuesday, April 9, 1985 following a thirteen year tenure as Pastor of the Faith United Presbyterian Church (Oakland, CA).
His vision lead to the construction and completion of a $4.5 million dollar worship facility; a 120-unit Senior and Disabled Housing Project; a sanctuary in Ghana, West Africa (Evergreen Evangelical Church); and
completion of the Maya Angelou Library & Literacy Center.
Bishop Pinkard was always been known as a multi-talented individual.
His demonstrated leadership skills established him in not only religious circles, both nationally and internationally, but in the political realm as well.
Past service included (partial list):
- President, Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance of the East Bay
- President, Baptist Ministers Union of Oakland and Vicinity
- Moderator, Oakland Council Churches
- First Vice President, United California Baptist State Convention
- President of the Board of Directors, African-American Church Health and Economic Services (ACHES)
- President, St. Luke’s Society
- Moderator, Mt. Zion District Association
- Executive Secretary, Publishing Board of the National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.
Due to Covid-19, public and private viewings will be held in lieu of a service.
Viewing Schedule – Sunday, August 9, 2020
- 10AM – 11:30AM: Pinkard Family
- 11:30AM – 1:30PM: Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church Family
- 2PM – 3PM: Clergy & Wives, Clergy Widows, Political Officials & Dignitaries
- 3:30PM – 5:30PM: Open to the Public
Cards, and condolences should be sent to:
Lady Kathi Pinkard, P.O. Box 21222, Oakland, CA 94620
Our condolences and prayers remain with the Pinkard Family, entire Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church and all who were touched by the life of Bishop Frank Pinkard, Jr.