Looks like I’m not the only 1979 baby! 35 years ago waistlines everywhere were impacted (lol) as namesakes Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield celebrated their first year of business – and thus began the tradition of the annual Free Cone Day, the Ben & Jerriest day of the year.
Today (April 8th), select nationwide scoop shops will dish out free cups and cones to once again say “thank you!” This year, Ben & Jerry’s is issuing a challenge to its beloved fans. The ice cream maker wants to give away more ice cream than ever before, setting a target to dish out more than 1 million cones in the U.S. alone.
Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops partner with local non-profit organizations throughout the year to support the company’s mission. The credo, stated by co-founder Ben Cohen at the company’s first Free Cone Day celebration, is that business has a responsibility to give back to the community. “There is no better way to celebrate these worthwhile community non-profit partners than by using our biggest and best celebration of the year, Free Cone Day, as a way to shine the light on their efforts,” said Dave Stever, Ben & Jerry’s Chief Marketing Officer.
With all of our great Bay Area weather we’re enjoying – it’s the perfect time to try a free scoop of one of Ben & Jerry’s newest 2014 Scoop Shop flavors as well, including:
- Salted Caramel Blondie: Sweet cream ice cream with blonde brownies and a salted caramel swirl.
- Hazed & Confused: Hazelnut and chocolate ice creams with fudge chips and a hazelnut fudge swirl.
- Cotton Candy: Cotton candy ice cream loaded with cotton candy pieces.
To confirm Free Cone Day participation and hours, make sure to check out the Scoop Shop Locator at www.benjerry.com or contact your local Scoop Shop in advance. Here’s a list of participating Bay Area scoops shops:
- Ben & Jerry’s Argonaut, 475 Jeffersont Street, San Francisco
- Ben & Jerry’s Jack London, 505 Embarcadero, Oakland
- Ben & Jerry’s Haight Ashbury, 1480 Haight Street, San Francisco
- Ben & Jerry’s San Jose, 115 East San Carlos, San Jose
- Ben & Jerry’s Fisherman’s Wharf (Pier 41) c/o Chatzka’s Inc., San Francisco
- Ben & Jerry’s Macy’s, San Francisco
- Ben & Jerry’s Berkeley – Center Street, 2130 Center Street Suite 102, Berkeley
Snap a picture, and tell us what flavor you choose! Be sure to tag #FreeConeDay #FaithintheBay and we’ll share the love.
Happy Birthday Ben & Jerry’s!