Black-ish, Angie Tribeca star and two-time EMMY® nominated writer and actor Deon Cole and Rosewood, The Real Husbands of Hollywood and seven-time NAACP Image Award nominated actress Nicole Ari Parker host an exciting night of inspiration, history and crowd-rousing performances at the 25th Annual Trumpet Awards, the prestigious annual event celebrating African-American achievements and contributions, set to world premiere on Sunday, January 29 at 9:00pm ET on Bounce.
Bounce recently acquired the historic show, and now owns, produces and exclusively premieres the star-studded ceremony.
Held at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, January 21, 2017 – it was hard not to discuss the political temperature of the country, and recent White House transition.
Every opportunity to see and hear from Trumpet Founder, Xernona Clayton is a privledge! The civil rights icon, was honoreed with the distinguished Golden Trumpet Award for her vision and contribution to black excellence.
Watch as we also catch up with the evenings Honoree Peabo Bryson, Ed Lover, Dorien Wilson and more on the Red Carpet.
The Trumpet Awards are a staple of black excellence, and drew some of the best and brightest of TV and film to celebrate their historic 25th Anniversary.
Photo Credit: Naomi Richard, Red Carpet View
Highlights from the show include:
- Lifetime Achievement Trumpet Award-winning New Edition being saluted by R&B bands Jagged Edge, Silk and The Transitions with a medley of the iconic group’s hits including “Candy Girl,” Mr. Telephone Man” and “Cool It Now” that had the audience dancing in the aisles.
- Regina Belle, BJ The Chicago Kid and Kenny Lattimore performing “A Whole New World,” “Feel the Fire” and “If Ever You’re in My Arms Again” to honor Trumpet Legend Award recipient Peabo Bryson.
- A show-stopping all-star Gospel Music Tribute featuring Shirley Caesar,Erica Campbell, Jekalyn Carr, Le’Andria Johnson, Travis Greene andCanton Jones.
- Tamela Mann,Lalah Hathaway and Keke Wyatt bringing the house down in individual performances.
- A memorable spoken-word presentation by Iman Cezanne and Javon Johnson which elicited thunderous applause and brought the audience to their feet.
Honorees at this year’s ceremony also included: Daytime EMMY® nomineeWendy Williams, who was presented with the Trumpet Award for Entertainment; former NBA great Dikembe Mutombo, recognized with the Humanitarian Trumpet Award; Martin Luther King III, presented with the ImpactTrumpet Award and fashion blogger Gabi Gregg who was given the TrailblazerTrumpet Award.
Following the Red Carpet, we enjoyed the show from the media room, and closed out the evening at the After Party hosted by Bounce, with guest DJ Frank Ski.
Don’t miss the premiere – Sunday, January 29 at 9:00pm ET on Bounce.